Wednesday, July 4, 2018

Zucchini...CHEESE???

Yes, it IS greenish...but it doesn't have to be.  My choice, leaving the peel on.
Some years ago, a young friend said she was making zucchini “cheese” and shared the recipe. (As I recall, the name of her Instagram account is something like "whatintheworldis***eatingnow?"  She's a hoot!) I never got around to making it, though I’ve remained curious all these years.  I just needed the proper incentive, and the autoimmune protocol was it!  My friends on the plan mentioned this substitute for dairy cheese, and it rang that curiosity bell, again.  I’m off dairy for the interim, but I miss the many things I can do with cheese, including just sit and eat it!

So, yesterday was “cheesemaking” day...for convenience in the post I’m going to knock off the quote marks though.

Ingredients are simple but versatile–you can add whatever herbs or vegetables or spices you like.  You can even start with a different main ingredient, like cauliflower or carrots instead of zucchini, or a combination of them if you want.  (Carrots will give it that cheesy yellow color...or add more turmeric than I did.)

My initial attempt was from the Sophie Van Tiggelen’s Squirrel in the Kitchen blog, but as usual I tweaked it here and there...

So with thanks to Sophie as well as apologies for the tweaks, here’s my version:


Ingredients

2 cups zucchini, cut up into cubes (I left the peel on, which made a very green cheese.  Must be from the moon...and Sophie says to peel it, which would take care of that if you consider it a problem.)
½  cup water
2 T. coconut oil, melted
4 T. gelatin (we have been using Vital Proteins brand, it’s pasture-raised, grass-fed and non-GMO)
½ t. turmeric for color and nutritional value (my addition)   
2 t. lemon juice
1 t. fine sea salt (more or less to taste)
2 T. nutritional yeast (it’s optional, but I like the somewhat cheesy flavor it adds)
1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped (can use a t. or so of dried, and I did.)
1 t. dried or fresh chives (my addition)


Instructions

    Steam the zucchini for 5 minutes, until tender.  Drain.
    In a high speed blender, blend the zucchini with water, coconut oil, turmeric, lemon juice, and salt for 30 seconds or until smooth.  I suspect it's best to let it cool a little--some blenders don't like hot!
    Add the gelatin and the nutritional yeast. Blend for another 15 seconds.
    Pour in a bowl, add the parsley or other additives and mix well.
    Pour into a glass, plastic, or foil-lined loaf pan and refrigerate until set (at least 4 hours–YMMV).
We were amazed–it’s GOOD.  And it’s another way to get some veggies.


Slices like a dream, as you can see!





I used one of our old ubiquitous plastic storage containers we've had for ages...I suspect it would come out of about anything, though, with no problem.

Yes, it WILL melt or toast, and many people like the flavor better that way.

I discovered the original recipe didn’t have enough salt for me, so I added a bit, above.  The current batch I’m just sprinkling with sea salt as I use it.

And ooooh, sprinkled with a bit of AIP curry powder makes me want to make curry cheese!  Or sage. Or fresh chives, or roasted garlic.  Or maybe sun-dried tomato and fresh basil.  Or dill.  Lemon zest? Horseradish?  Bacon? Any combination of these?

In truth, I’m a particular fan of a good sharp cheddar, and I haven’t figured out how to make this have that lovely sharp bite...but if I do, I’ll let you know!





No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear what you think--ask questions, share recipes or stories or memories. Sit down and have a cuppa with us!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...