Monday, August 12, 2019

Nordic Nut Bread (okay, mostly seeds...), gluten free


I have no idea if this actually is Nordic...some sources call it Viking Bread, which may be even harder to nail down.  I call it GOOD, and make it when I want a hearty, filling bread-like creature.  (No flour, no grain of any kind, no yeast.)

It's not inexpensive to make, but it is a special treat.

The original recipe calls for walnuts and almonds, but since I'm allergic, I tweak it!  It's quite versatile--the original recipe has no raisins or sweetener, but I added a little of both--sometimes I do, sometimes I don't.  It would be good as a savory herb bread as well.

Dense and rich, and full of nutrients!


So here's how:

Preheat oven to 320 degrees, and prepare a loaf pan by greasing and flouring, or lining with parchment paper.

Ingredients


dry ingredients
  • 6 T pumpkin seeds
  • 6 T sunflower seeds
  • 6 T cashews (raw or roasted)
  • 2 T sesame seeds
  • 2 T poppy seeds (optional)
  • 1 T hempseed (optional)
  • 1-2 T  flaxseed meal
  • handful of raisins (optional)
  • 1 T coconut or maple sugar (optional)
  • spices, if you like...cinnamon, ginger, allspice, cloves?  about a tsp (optional)
  • 1 tsp salt
wet ingredients
  • 5 eggs
  • 1/4 cup olive oil (or other healthy oil)
I'm reasonably sure you can substitute any nuts or seeds you prefer, just end up with about the same amount.  I've made it without any sweetener and fruit and it's still delicious.

Bake for one hour or until knife inserted comes out clean.



Beat eggs, and add oil and dry ingredients, stirring well to mix.

Pour into greased or parchment lined loaf pan (can use two small ones for special treats or gifts!)

Nuts need not be chopped--I didn't--but you can.

Serve with butter, if you wish, but it sure doesn't need it.


No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear what you think--ask questions, share recipes or stories or memories. Sit down and have a cuppa with us!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...